I am back to more opinionated lists for ACNL. First week, I went over the goods and bads of the 3DS game in the franchise. Then I went over to review the entire series. Today, I’m going to cover the first of the four lists I would rank (villagers, items, PWPs and landmarks, and island tours/badges/holidays). This week, it’s going to be on what this game is about the most – animals. One interesting fact is that the most common animal type (species) in ACNL is cats. There are 22 cat villagers, along with Rover, Blanca, and Katie. However, there are more dogs with green tags than any other animal with green tags. another interesting fact is that deer are the most popular villagers by the community than any other species. On Bell Tree Forums, there is a list of tiers based on popularity. Tier Five is where the most unpopular villagers are, and not a single deer is in there. There are a lot in Tier One, the most popular villagers.
In my opinion, I don’t give a damn about the Villager Tier system. It’s just damn ridiculous. I rank by personality. I don’t care if one villager is more popular than another. I only care about what I think. But some people in the AC communities take the tier system too seriously. I’m okay with rankings of Disney’s animated features and Pixar movies, but not the tier system. It also kinda ruined part of the game. I don’t really have interest into Marshal anymore ever since I saw pictures of a town all centered on him while I feel bad for Barold since he got all the hate.
Anyway, I will start out with the categories:
Best Species and Personalities
There are 34 different species and 8 different personalities. In reality, this list is not the same as it is in ACNL. A good example is that the character design for cats do not look as good as what they look like in reality, but it’s the other way around when describing the dogs. Some shows and games depict characters in a better way than others. But now I am ready to share the list:
- #1 – Penguins: I am a person that likes birds over mammals in general. There are only six species of bird villagers in ACNL, and penguins are at the top, even if they can’t fly. Yeah, there are some penguins I don’t like as much, but based on the selection of villagers, the penguins would have to be my favorite of the species in ACNL. Not to mention, there are no missing animals based on personality in this species.
- #2 – Eagles: Only five villagers of this personality saved this species from ranking so low, but they are no match for the penguins in ACNL. In real life, I like eagles, and I am in the right hemisphere to see them more (Western Hemisphere).
- #3 – Cats: In reality, cats are really cute. They may have behavior issues, but I like cats. But in ACNL, they’re almost no different. Mitzi, Rosie, Katt, Purrl, Kiki, Lolly, Kitty, and Katie (not a villager) helped bring these species to the top of the list, but if it were for two of the birds, these meowbags would fail to hit the #1 spot.
- #4 – Chickens: May sound a bit unjust, but I am basing it after one villager. But there are a few other chickens that I like. In reality, chickens are cute.
- #5 – Deer: I have to agree with the popular opinion here. The deer in ACNL are cute species. However, I don’t really like them in reality due to overpopulation issues, but I do like them better in ACNL.
- #6 – Squirrels: Although my favorite villager has to be a squirrel, some are in a nutshell due to some bad looks or overratedness (I’m not sure if that’s a real word).
- #7 – Dogs: My favorite animal in ACNL is a dog, but my favorite villager isn’t. Dogs look better in ACNL than in real life (no offense). They may be high on my list, but they aren’t the top dogs of the game, as some bark up the wrong tree.
- #8 – Hamsters: Another of these new species that weren’t in the past three games that I like are hamsters. The hamster on the front cover is named after a character from one of William Shakespeare’s plays, which if funny because of the first three letters of both the species and villager.
- #9 – Rabbits: In real life, I don’t really like them because of how overpopulated they are. Their looks are worse in AC than in reality. But the rabbits are better than most species. My absolute least favorite of the rabbits would probably not be a rabbit, but more of a rabbit costume, Zipper T Bunny.
- #10 – Wolves: At one time, they were all cranky or snooty. Even if they had a bad selection based on personality, I don’t hate them as much as I do in reality. But wolves aren’t that dangerous.
- #11 – Birds: As a person who likes birds, you wouldn’t be surprised to see these pretty high.
- #12 – Frogs: I like the one you can catch more than the villagers, but frogs aren’t all that bad either.
- #13 – Elephants: I liked the elephants in the game, but they seem to be very undersized, but that’s okay. It’s just a game anyway.
- #14 – Ostriches: I may like bird villagers, but there aren’t enough ostriches for me to rank this species highly.
- #15 – Bearcubs: I find it rather weird that there are both bears and bearcubs when they are both technically the same species. But there is one that I do like a lot, and she helped keep this species away from the bottom 20.
- #16 – Goats: Not a huge fan of them, but okay.
- #17 – Lions: Since they all have manes, I wouldn’t be surprised that this is the only species in ACNL (excluding non-villagers) to have only one gender. They should introduce lionesses next game. But based on the selection, the lions aren’t all that bad.
- #18 – Pigs: Some of the pigs do look ugly, but others do not.
- #19 – Ducks: Of the six bird species, the ducks are my least favorite. The males are fine, but the females (excluding Molly) ruined this. I like real ducks, but not pixel people ones.
- #20 – Monkeys: I don’t hate them too much, but there’s one monkey I do like. It would be the train station guy, Porter, but he’s not a villager. They’re not as favorable either.
- #21 – Sheep: I’m not really a fan of the sheep villagers they have in game, but again, some I’m okay with as others I’m not. If you’re gonna ask me about Pietro, I actually think he’s cute rather than scary.
- #22 – Octopi: There’s too few of them, so it’s hard for me to judge. That, and why would they make a sea creature a land animal? That’s creepy.
- #23 – Cows and Bulls: I like the bulls more than the cows, but even if that’s true, they’re both lower on the list.
- #24 – Koalas: I’m not too bright on them, but they’re not as bad.
- #25 – Anteaters: There are one or two that I liked, but that’s pretty much it.
- #26 – Bears: In real life, we may think bears as scary ferocious creatures, but the monstrous looks in reality look no worse than the villagers in ACNL of this species. Some look so ugly.
- #27 – Rhinos: Like I said most of the time, some animals are much better looking in reality than others. This is true for the rhinos as well.
- #28 – Hippos: At least they’re better in game than in real life since real hippos are one of the most dangerous animals. I like rhinos over hippos more in general. I won’t be hippocritical either.
- #29 – Horses: I don’t need to say it again. Plus, some (like Victoria) bug me easily.
- #30 – Crocodiles: I don’t know why I ranked them low. I just don’t care too much about animal villagers.
- #31 – Kangaroos: They are ranked very low for a good reason. The only good kangaroo villagers are the male ones, which I only see two, and they are both cranky villagers.
- #32 – Tigers: I do like tigers in real life, even if they are extremely dangerous animals, but the character design of tigers in ACNL makes these species less enjoyable.
- #33 – Gorillas: In my opinion, Boone is the only one of this species that I liked. I just absolutely cannot handle Violet.
- #34 – Mice: In AC, they look stupider than they do in real life. Thankfully, none of these villagers make it to the bottom of my list based on personality. I don’t like their ears sticking out like how they did in AC.
Now if we’re ranking based on personality, this is how it would go:
- #1 – Normal: My favorite personality in AC would have to be the normals. They are nice and sweet, very caring, and more worthy talking to. I don’t care what gender they are, but all animals of this personality are female. Yes, there some that I don’t like, but my top five favorite villagers in-game are all normal villagers.
- #2 – Jock: They may be the most immature of the male villagers, but I like the jocks. They are pretty cool.
- #3 – Uchi: They may have a lot of ugly villagers, but there are three that helped keep this higher.
- #4 – Lazy: They are the male version of the Normal villagers, but only about food.
- #5 – Cranky: They may be cool, but they are so mean.
- #6 – Smug: They may be the most well-mannered ones, but I’m not to fond of them either.
- #7 – Snooty: They’re snobs. Not all girls are nice you know. Some I just hate.
- #8 – Peppy: Villagers of this kind are damn annoying. There are some that I like, but the personality I do not like. Have you even noticed that they are meaner than the snooty villagers?
I may not care about animals as much as most people do, as I am more in favor over the human villagers (as well as I don’t have any dreamies), but I do have villagers I like more and that I like less. Since I never had all of the villagers or paid attention to some, I will mention favorite villagers by personality. I will name five of each on the good list, and only one of each on the bad list.
- #1 – Cube
- #2 – Walker
- #3 – Alfonso
- #4 – Lucky
- #5 – Prince
- #1 – Marshal
- #2 – Rodney
- #3 – Zell
- #4 – Jacques
- #5 – Pietro
- #1 – Roald
- #2 – Pierce
- #3 – Hamlet
- #4 – Antonio
- #5 – Bam
- #1 – Lobo
- #2 – Static
- #3 – Apollo
- #4 – Hopper
- #5 – Camofrog
- #1 – Caroline
- #2 – Mitzi
- #3 – Aurora
- #4 – Goldie
- #5 – Ava
- #1 – Katt
- #2 – Mira
- #3 – Cherry
- #4 – Pashmina
- #5 – Phoebe
- #1 – Agent S
- #2 – Rosie
- #3 – Bunnie
- #4 – Bluebear
- #5 – Peanut
- #1 – Amelia
- #2 – Blaire
- #3 – Purrl
- #4 – Kitty
- #5 – Freya
Worst (no particular order here):
Although Caroline is the grand winner of the possible villagers in-game, there are several other characters, including human characters I make, that I like more. Based on previous posts, you can easily tell who my favorite character is. Next to her and two similar characters are the few animals with green name tags rather than blue or pink. Here are my five favorites and five least favorites:
- #1 – Isabelle: Obviously my favorite animal from the entire Animal Crossing series. What a perfect match for a secretary of the mayor.
- #2 – Blathers: As a person who likes birds, Blathers is definitely not excluded here.
- #3 – Leif: It seems rather weird, but I like him too.
- #4 – Reese: I’m a bigger fan of her than the sea basses are.
- #5 – Celeste: Blather’s sister, and worker of the Museum.
- #1 – Gracie: She may have good furniture, but she was awful in the GameCube Version
- #2 – Saharah: Please do not give me the common wall or common floor.
- #3 – Resetti: Easily the most aggressive one. I don’t have him in my town since he is pretty strict. I like Bell Tree’s concept of his role.
- #4 – Tortimer: Not as good of a mayor like we would be. And he can be tricky sometimes.
- #5 – Wendell: I don’t know why I put him here. He’s just not one of my favorites.
That’s it for this week. Next week, it will be on furniture collections and other item related stuff.